• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Receipe database seperation and backup

mr_beer

Grandmaster Brewer
Master Brewer
Reaction score
BeerSmith saves all of its recipe and other information in .bsm files located in the main program directory. 

There is really no effective way to back up this information using traditional backup software since most program areas are not backed up, especially since the software needs to be reinstalled if the disk drive is replaced. 

Recently I lost a hard drive and had to rebuild my system.  Backup and network based shares saved the day except for .bsm files.  It would certainly be nice to be able to point those files to a different area on the network so backup could take care of the important data. 

Please consider it as a higher priority change for the near future.

Thanks

I agree -
  I will look at the possibility of having a separate directory for user files in future versions.

In the meantime, you can set up most backup programs to just backup the files C:\Program Files\BeerSmith\*.bsm

Cheers!
Brad

Back