• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Da Bruddahs be brewing on Molokai

DPCMKK

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new to the site and wanted to introduce myself.  I'm Dave and live on the island of Molokai (between Maui and Oahu).  My buddies and I will be brewing from the islands in the spring.  We'll be sharing our experiences with you all.  Thanks in advance for the advice you all give on this forum (past and future).  You undoubtedly will make us better brewers.

Aloha

Hi Molokai Bruddahs,

If you are ever on Maui the 2nd Tuesday of the month we have a Brew Maui club meeting at the Wailuku Food Court.

If you are still building your system I have one suggestion for you. Don't get a plate chiller - they are almost impossible to keep clean and generally a pain in the arse. I have made an immersion chiller from a 50' coil of 3/8" copper pipe I bought at Lowes. It works really well until you get down to 20-30F of you target temp (due to the water coming out of the cold tap not being that cold). I then switch to running ice water that I have filled up my Mash Tun up with. It only takes 10lb of ice or so and 5 mins of ice water to drop the last 30F. Another benefit of using an Immersion chiller is that you don't have any losses from the lines and chiller and won't get clogged with bits of hops (I have had that happen several times with the plate chiller).

Thanks for the info, TAHammerton.  Your suggestion on using the immersion chiller and the tap/ice-cooler method of cooling the wort is exactly our plan.  Our chiller is indeed the 50' 3/8 inch immersion.  I have a 3-way ball valve to switch from tap to ice chest, once the temps have dropped.  I'm working on the 10 gal conversions for the mash tun and liquor tank.  I've been reading about the comparison between continuous versus batch sparging and will be testing both approaches.  Also working on getting a mini-fridge to hold our fermenter.  We'll only be brewing 5-6 gallon batches to start.

Can't think of a better place to brew! Good Luck and maybe someday I will get to Molokai to try da bruddahs brew.  8)

Back