• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Just want to introduce myself

Deanman

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have browsed around here (and other beer websites & forums) a few times and decided to register here. Seems like a lot of great, well organized info and friendly people.

I brewed my first batch from a box kit about a year ago, and have done 11 extract & partial grain batches to date. For my latest batch, I stepped up to an all grain pale ale recipe using a brew in a bag setup in a 13 gallon kettle. I also scored a used fridge for free and bought a temp controller for it, whereas all my prior fermentations took place in my laundry room. We heat with wood, so my temps swung up and down wildly. So far this batch has been hovering within about half a degree of the target 65 degrees, and is now in secondary. I plan to dry hop it about 4 days before bottling. So I’m happy to have easily solved the temp control problem. My only further equipment need is a more powerful burner.

I joined the local North Olympic Brewers Guild right after I started, and have met a lot of great people and learned a lot. We also get a dollar off on pints at a couple local pubs and a small discount on ingredients purchased on the day of the meeting, which is hosted by the local Brewing Supplies store. Most meetings are attended by at least 25 people and we usually have over a dozen brews to sample, plus food... it's a lot of fun.

My latest “problem” is I printed off a recipe from Beersmith for the Bell’s Two Hearted IPA, bought the ingredients… and then noticed it is for a 6 gallon batch. I have 5 gallon carboys…  So I guess I can just ferment in two carboys... I always seem to make simple things complicated  :eek:

Anyway, I’m enjoying it all thoroughly and am now contemplating the purchase of Beersmith, but am still undecided if I should spring for the desktop version, or if the iPad version will do. I expect further reading here will provide an answer.

I look forward to hanging out here from time to time and hope I can eventually contribute something to help someone else.

Happy Brewing,

Dean

First off, welcome to our group. 

Secondly, you can bring your recipe up on beersmith and then click "Scale Recipe" in the upper left hand corner and scale it down to a five gallon batch.  You'll have some left over ingredients, but that isn't any big deal, since you'll eventually use them in something else.

Thanks Scott,

I considered scaling it down, but decided to just follow it as is. I will just split it into 2 carboys right out of the boil pot. I was given four 5 gal carboys a long time ago, so I might as well use some of them.

I bought the iPad version of Beersmith this afternoon and have been fooling around with it setting up my equipment profile. Lots to learn and get used to.

Back