• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

changing default file location

Baron Von MunchKrausen

Grandmaster Brewer
Master Brewer
Reaction score
Can't seem to find previous threads on this.
I would like to save my recipes to a flash drive so I can [sic] be more productive in my office......
A tutorial or help would be appreciated.

BeerSmith is set to use \Documents\BeerSmith2 as the default directory and it's baked in. Using the BeerSmith cloud lets you work on just a recipe at a time and share it. The cloud doesn't let you store new profiles or inventory, though.

To use the flash drive, you'll have to copy the \Documents\BeerSmith2 folder to the flash drive. Later, you can open BeerSmith on a new machine, then File > Open File > Locate the Drive \BeerSmith2 > Recipe.bsmx. Don't panic that you'll see 5 more recipe files. These are archives. 

Once open, you'll see all of your recipes and folders.  Work on them. When done, be sure to use the "Close" button. This will prompt a save of the recipe folder back onto the flash drive.

This limits you to working from just the flash drive. Recipe modifications on either computer or the flash drive become independent of each other of you don't work exclusively from one source.  Periodically, just copy the flash drive back to the computers.

Perfect!
This is just what I need to work on, and store future recipes from 2 computers.
Thanks much!

Back