• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Whats the weirdest thing you've brewed

ndmonkey

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm curious what some of you more adventurous brewers out there have added to your brew?  I've read about the tootsie roll stout (on my must try list!), so that got me thinking: what crazy concoctions have you come up with that actually ended up working? 

I'm glad the Tootsie Roll Stout is on your "to make" list.  That was my recipe.  Mine took about 8 months to carbonate.  I'll use WLP099 Super High Gravity Yeast the next time I make it.

Another weird one that I've brewed is the one in the thread below.  Fruit Cake Flavored Flanders Brown (soured with Roselaire yeast, Lactobacillus Brevis and the dregs from two bottles of Jolly Pumpkin La Roja.  I'm also thinking about blending some of it with some of my bourbon barrel aged Russian Imperial Stout (with cacao nibs and vanilla bean)/Belgian Strong on Syrah grapes blend.  Although I've bottled three gallons of the blend straight up and it is spectacular the way it is.  I have five gallons more of the blend in a carboy.

Here's the thread on the Fruit Cake Flanders Brown.

http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,10848.0.html

ndmonkey said:
I'm curious what some of you more adventurous brewers out there have added to your brew?

Thai Red Curry Saison.

And it was a commercial batch, this past summer. The biggest challenge was brightening up the curry flavors because after fermentation, it was more like a spiced cookie.

An Imperial India Pale Ale with Cardomom, Tarragon, Star Anise, & Marrigolds.

brewfun said:
ndmonkey said:
I'm curious what some of you more adventurous brewers out there have added to your brew?

Thai Red Curry Saison.

And it was a commercial batch, this past summer. The biggest challenge was brightening up the curry flavors because after fermentation, it was more like a spiced cookie.

Wow!  What an interesting concept.  A spiced cookie sounds good too.  I made my Gingerbread Cookie Ale last fall for our clubs 12 beers of Christmas project.  Did you like it before you brightened up the curry flavors?

Scott its too bad Matt isn't on beersmith forums. Hes brewed some pretty unique stuff.

Scott Ickes said:
I'm glad the Tootsie Roll Stout is on your "to make" list.  That was my recipe.  Mine took about 8 months to carbonate.  I'll use WLP099 Super High Gravity Yeast the next time I make it.

Another weird one that I've brewed is the one in the thread below.  Fruit Cake Flavored Flanders Brown (soured with Roselaire yeast, Lactobacillus Brevis and the dregs from two bottles of Jolly Pumpkin La Roja.  I'm also thinking about blending some of it with some of my bourbon barrel aged Russian Imperial Stout (with cacao nibs and vanilla bean)/Belgian Strong on Syrah grapes blend.  Although I've bottled three gallons of the blend straight up and it is spectacular the way it is.  I have five gallons more of the blend in a carboy.

Here's the thread on the Fruit Cake Flanders Brown.

http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,10848.0.html
Yes, I'm very excited to try out the stout for sure!

Thai Red Curry Saison

Now that sounds cool!

Brewmex41 said:
Scott its too bad Matt isn't on beersmith forums. Hes brewed some pretty unique stuff.

I just dropped off my 5 gallons of Saison for the club's Pinot Noir Barrel at Matt's house.  His next experiment is to brew 10 gallons of wort with the same hops.  He's going to split it into two different carboys and innoculate one with his wild honey yeast (harvested from a neighbors honey) and innoculate the other from his grape yeast (harvested from his other neighbors grapes).  He wants to see if they are any different.  He thinks he has the same yeast strain.  If they taste the same, he's going to assume that it is the dominant yeast strain in his area.

I helped him brew a saison with lemon balm pulled from his driveway cracks early this fall.  He's also thrown whole spruce branches in the wort, in place of hops.  That one is still on tap on his kegarator.  I had some sunday.  It's still delicious.  His weirdest tasting (although delicious) was his Blonde Ale from Big Brew Day 2013.  He used a date from Oman in a starter to get the yeast.  It provided a very funky yeasty flavor.  I have a feeling it was some strain of Brett.

Scott Ickes said:
Did you like it before you brightened up the curry flavors?

That's a really hard question to answer because I'm so inclined to judge based on my target, not what it is. As I remember, it was basically cinnamon spice cake/cookie in flavor. It was pleasant and could've gone on to being an acceptable Christmas beer, but it was still somewhat muddy and it was July.

I guess im not a very adventurous brewer. Still trying to perfect the process of brewing at home.
I guess the weirdest thing I've brewed was an iipa that I added white grape juice to.

I've done a few batches with sliced apples in the primary, and a couple with a black tea mixture incorporated.  I'd like to do a chai tea batch soon.

jtoots said:
I've done a few batches with sliced apples in the primary, and a couple with a black tea mixture incorporated.  I'd like to do a chai tea batch soon.
Sliced apple sounds really tasty.

Amber with dulce de leche.  Finished amazingly brilliant and bronze colored.  Took a bronze in specialty...surprised me cause the base beer in the same contest did not do well.  called it cerveza de leche.

Back