• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Gassing Kegs

MikeinRH

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I attended a demonstration on kegging this past Saturday at my local homebrew supplier. The person giving the demo suggested that CO2 shouldn't be applied unless the filled keg had been refrigerated. I've always force-carbonated right after racking from the fermenter. (Applying CO2 at 30PSI and "rolling" the keg back and forth on its side for 17-18 minutes.) Somehow this method has worked well for me for more than two years. Does anyone have any info to support the notion that a keg shouldn't be gassed until refrigerated?

It takes longer to carbonate a warm keg.  After racking to the keg I let it set in my kegerator for 24 hours.  Then, I roll like a baby to carbonate.  Usually 60 seconds max and I'm done.  I 1/2 that amount for low carb'd beers like bitters, etc.

Mark

I put pressure on my kegs as soon as they're full (at room temp), then purge oxygen, then refrigerate.

After I rack I fill keg with co2 30psi and purge the Oxygen. Then i lay on the side and roll it around for about 15 seconds. I then leave C02 connected for about 1 minute at 30 psi. Disconnect C02 and let sit for a week or 2 or 3. when i am ready to use i put the keg in the fridge the night before gas up to 30 PSI then shut off regulator, then gas again to 30 psi in the morning then shut of regulator. That evening I reduce the pressure to less than 10 and sample. I serve between 3 and 8 lbs.  blondes/pales i am at the high level and ambers/reds at the low. Been working great for me.

Back