• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Adjusting imported recipes for different equipment profiles

rolomo01

Apprentice
Reaction score
Can anyone shed light on how to use Beersmith when importing recipes that use a different equipment profile?
I've imported a recipe, used the scaling tool to adjust for my volume.
Then switched to my brewing setup and things change in the beer profile.
Seems like BS should be able to adjust recipe and timing to keep the profile the same just like it does when adjusting for volumes or moving from extract to all-grain or the reverse.

Thanks,
rolomo

I think it should be just as easy as changing the profile to yours... BS should do the rest.  It looks like that's what you did.  Are you seeing results that don't look right?

I use the 'scale recipe' feature when looking at any recipes I import, even when the brew quantity is the same.  I can then select my equipment profile and have BeerSmith make adjustments for differences in efficiency and trub losses.

jtoots said:
I think it should be just as easy as changing the profile to yours... BS should do the rest.

No, that won't adjust the recipe. It will change the stats to match the profile, but if the system has differing efficiency and losses, a different beer will result. Sometimes, this is the right change, like when the ingredients have already been bought.

Oginme said:
I use the 'scale recipe' feature when looking at any recipes I import, even when the brew quantity is the same.  I can then select my equipment profile and have BeerSmith make adjustments for differences in efficiency and trub losses.

Yes. ^^^^^^ This.

Back