• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

small sparge amount

itsratso

Master Brewer
Reaction score
brewed a wee heavy recently. BS gave me a really small batch sparge amount, around one gallon (on a 3 gallon batch). i usually follow the add your sparge water and beat the hell out of it with your mash paddle for a while method. one gallon barely got the grains wet in this case, so no stirring. worked out fine but i got to thinking: what is the point of batch sparging? assuming it would fit in your tun, why not just add it to the mash at the end with the first runnings? stir, drain, done. it doesn't seem like there is anything magic in adding the water after draining the mash initially? yes? no?

itsratso said:
brewed a wee heavy recently. ...assuming it would fit in your tun, why not just add it to the mash at the end with the first runnings? stir, drain, done.

Assuming it fits, you're correct. The other solution is to modify your procedure so that less water is used in the mash.

To get BeerSmith to show the correct instructions, make sure the two option boxes under Batch Sparge are unchecked.

Back