• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Dry yeast starter for me?

DrT

Apprentice
Reaction score
Prepping to brew "Fosters Lager" from the Brewsmith cloud.  The brewer (written in notes) states that 2 pkg yeast were used.  No mention of starter.  I know typically starters are not needed for many dry yeasts, but Brewsmith tells me I need about 505 billion cells, but two pkg without starter gets me 365 cells.  I'm thinking I should put together a 2L starter with two pkg of the 34/70 dry yeast...  Thoughts?

Estimated OG will be near 1.085 per recipe, and 1.1 after boil (adding sugar).  Post-boil volume will be about 5.5 gallons.

yep, double checked that with the Mr Malty tool, calling for 3-3.5 packets of dry yeast.  Looks like you'll need a starter.  that's a big lager!

Beer smith gives me about the same numbers - 3 pkg of dry yeast.  But with a 2L starter and 2 pkg, I get (approximately) the same number of yeast cells as 3 pkg dry.  The original recipe only used 2 pkg, so my assumption is that he used a starter - not just pitched dry.

She's on the stir plate - thanks for confirming!  Shooting for brew day on Sunday.

Back