• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Grain bag

Sixpack

Apprentice
Reaction score
I used a grain bag on my second batch today. I was amazed at how much easier that was than the strainer method I used on the first batch. So my questions are:
1. How do you clean the grain bag?
2. What are the advantages of a Lauder ton over a grain bag?

It seems to me that you either brew your mash straight in the bag or just poor the mash through the bag into your boil pot. And it takes up almost no space.

Preference... The part of BIAB I don't like is that you constantly adjust heat, (utilities are evil!) I do a modified version. I use a grain bag in a Gotte cooler. Makes sparging and filtering an absolute breeze.
As far as cleaning the bag? Just fill a bucket with clean water and agitate to get the sugars off. then hang the bag to dry. When dry, turn it inside out and just shake the grain husks off. Bags don't need to be overly sanitized, as they go into preboil step anyway.

Back