• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Sharing my BeerSmith recipe library between windows and linux?

F

Funkenjäger

I am dual-booting windows XP and ubuntu linux.  I installed beersmith under windows, and I found I could run the windows-installed copy of beersmith directly in WINE, without needing to install a separate copy for linux through WINE.  It would be REALLY nice if I could access the same recipe data from both windows and linux, without needing to manually juggle things back and forth - so that I don't have to shutdown and reboot into a different OS just to get to my recipes in beersmith.

The problem is, it is not getting all my recipes.  What's weird is, it's not that it's getting NONE, it's that it's getting only a small number of recipes, and judging from the ones it's getting, it looks like it is only getting some OLD recipes of mine (maybe from back before I upgraded beersmith to a newer version?)  I tried import/merge on recipe.bsm in the program folder, to no avail.  The fact that it's running and that it's at least getting SOME of my recipe data is very promising, so it seems like I'm pretty close, but not quite there.

Is there anything I can do here?  I don't really even know how BeerSmith is storing its active recipe data, I sort of assumed "recipe.bsm" was where it was stored but now I'm not so sure.  Where is the recipe data actually stored?  And is there any way I can make beersmith use the proper data when it runs in WINE?  Or is it stored in some way that makes it impossible for linux/WINE to access it?  (like the windows registry or something like that?)

Hi,
  By default the BeerSmith data is put into the directories under "C:\Program Files\BeerSmith".  I might want to suggest installing BeerSmith to a directory somewhere that is shared between both operating systems.  This might get the result you want (can't guarantee it).

Of course you would want to export and save all of your data first, then install BeerSmith to a shared directory, reimport the data, and make sure both operating systems are pointing to the right copy of BeerSmith.

In the future I'm planning to separate the data directory and make it an option, which should make this a bit easier.

Cheers!
Brad

Well, that's just it - I was already doing that.  I have the hard drive where beersmith is installed in windows mounted under linux and I was running it directly from there, so the executable I was running WINE was right in the real beersmith program folder along with recipe.bsm and all the others.  It would work, and get SOME recipes, but not all of them, every time.  Even if I tried to do an "import" on recipe.bsm, it wouldn't get all the recipes that I knew were in there - because when I booted back into windows and opened beersmith there, they would all show up.

Anyway, I tried exporting my whole recipe library and import/merging it in beersmith in WINE, and this time it actually got all the recipes, and when I close/reopen the program they're still there.  Is there any way that my recipe.bsm file could have been somehow 'cleaned' or 'refreshed' by exporting and then reimporting my whole recipe library?  Now the last question is, will it now actually manage to correctly keep the recipe data current between the two OS'es, and am I going to have the same problem with other additions (ingredients and such)...  We'll see I guess.

Yep, sure enough.  It is not loading any of the custom ingredients I added under windows when I open it in linux, unless I manually export them in windows and import in linux.  And, if I add/change a recipe under one OS, the other OS is not seeing any change.  Despite the fact that I'm running beersmith from the same directory under both OS'es, it seems like they are somehow keeping their recipe data entirely separate, even though they both seem to be using the same recipe.bsm file.

Oh well, I get the feeling I've sort of reached the end of what I can really do.  Guess I'll have to just choose which OS I would prefer to use the program under and only keep my recipe library up-to-date in that one.

Not that I've tried mounting an NTFS filesystem under linux lately, but it was my understanding that currently NTFS support is only read-only.

Also, doesn't WINE maintain its own 'c:\program files' and 'c:\windows' directories?

Maybe WINE is reading from the NTFS partition, realizing that it can't write to it and writing to its own 'c:\program files'?

HTH

I don't know about past support, but in Ubuntu I have no trouble reading and writing from NTFS partitions.  I've also checked the 'virtual' C drive that wine maintains, and I don't see anything being written there when I'm running beersmith from the NTFS partition where it was installed in windows.

I wonder if it's a permission thing. Check the permissions under Linux and see if they are rwxrwxrwx or 777.
Can you "see" the recipes?

Back