• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

IBU calculations with whirlpool

bigmunchez

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Firstly, thanks for the great software!

Apologies if this has already come up, but a search didn't reveal anything.

The addition of calculations for the IBU's derived from whirlpool additions has been very helpful, and so far seems pretty accurate (based on my system and my palate).
The area where I can perhaps suggest an improvement is to make the whirlpool setting a recipe-wide setting rather than for the individual hop addition.  Clearly, if I add a big dose of high AA hops with 5 mins left in the boil, the IBUs from that addition will be dramatically different if I chill immediately at flameout vs doing a 20 min hot whirlpool, but currently the software does not reflect this.

Maybe if there was a setting on the main 'design' tab where you could choose 'hot whirlpool yes/no' and then the duration, then all my late boil additions (say from 15 mins onwards) could have additional IBU's calculated based on that.

Of course I have no idea how you go about calculating the actual contribution but I'm sure some clever person could figure it out...

Thanks again

I'd second this suggestion for the next update. In the meantime, does anyone have a workaround for the calculation? Maybe an additive process? I had a hop charge in for a 10 minute boil addition and it gave me 7 IBUs, then I changed it to a 20 minute whirlpool addition and I got 9 IBUs. So ballpark it at 15-16 IBUs?

Cheers,
Brad

Back