• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Newbie question: Grains

Reaction score
I have a Northern Brewer partial mash kit that I want to enter into BS2.  The specialty grains are my sticking point.  How do I either find the equivalent in the BS2 list or enter a new grain with the appropriate Color, Potential SG, etc?

The particular grains are:
Briess Caramel 40
English Medium Crystal
English Extra Dark Crystal
Special B

Thanks in advance. 

Both Briess Caramel 40 and Special B should be listed under grains. I didn't find any listing for English Medium Crystal or English Extra Dark Crystal. There could be a Add On with these grains but I could not find one. This may help. Crystal malts are roasted by different  processes (temp and time) increasing the darkness of their color. The number attach to the malt name refers to the color. Crystal 10 having 10 SRM, Crystal 120 having 120 SRM.

Northern Brewer list English Medium Crystal as having a SRM of 50 to 60 and English Extra Dark Crystal having a SRM of 160. leaving you with a couple options

Option 1 would be to just select two crystal malts under grains. One with a SRM of 60 and one with a SRM of 160.

Option 2 would be to manually enter these two grains.

That being said this is a kit you may or may not use again. I would use Option 1 brew the beer and see how it turns out. If you start brewing this kit a lot then use Option 2. 

The Northern Brewer site lists the English malts as Simpsons.  There is an add-on for Simpson's malts which has the Medium Crystal and the Extra Dark included.  Go to 'add-ons' to access.

Back