• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Small bubble formations on my IPA

dharch

Apprentice
Reaction score
My IPA is now in day 4 in its secondary.  On day two I noticed these small formations on the surface.  At first I thought it was infection but now I am not sure.  When I shine a light on them they are actually small clusters of bubbles, and you can see bubbling activity coming from the bottom which are causing these formations. 

I had not seen this on my other ones.  Just wanted to make sure this is normal stuff.

Thanks! 
David

Attachments

• IMG_1741.jpg
    IMG_1741.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 410
That worried me too the first time I saw it in my beer. Especially since I was paranoid after losing a couple batches to infection. A dozen or so more batches looking like that and I stopped worrying. As long as it's just bubbles you're fine. Wine does the same thing with its longer fermentation.

If you've got a raft that's not fed by bubbles from the bottom, then you've got something to worry about. Especially if it starts growing tendrils.

But that looks perfectly normal.

Back