• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

IBUs & Pre-Boil Gravity not Changing for BIAB Late Extract Addition

ahariton

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi

I'm creating an all-grain recipe using a 15.5g BIAB equipment profile.

When adding a D-180 candi sugar addition, the IBUs and pre-Boil Gravity estimate are identical whether I add it for the full boil of as a late extract addition.

How do I get the both calcs to update for the late addition?

Thanks

Andy

How much are you adding?

The OG values will reflect the sugar, regardless of when the sugar is added; boil, late, or fermenter. This is due to BeerSmith using that number for calculating just one abv % value. The way to see a difference is to zero out the sugar addition for the preboil gravity, then add it back in when the sugar is added.

Awkward, I know.... Brad has suggested that he's looking at better ways for BeerSmith to handle various sugar additions and their timing. Even then, I'm sure someone will demand a different method that will need a further update.

IBUs are not as gravity dependent as once believed, unless the wort is diluted. Hop isomerization isn't all-powerful and unfailing. It is highly influenced by the brewer's techniques and equipment. It doesn't strike me as all that important if the prediction is only 5-7 IBUs different. As long as the calculation is always made under the same circumstance (wort OG into the fermenter) the results are predictable.

Thanks for the reply.

The recipe calls for 3 lbs of d-180.  Attached if it helps

Attachments

• W12 Clone.bsmx
    20 KB · Views: 188
  • W12 Clone.bsmx
    20 KB · Views: 184
Back