• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Blueberry Wheat Recipe using Fresh Blueberries?

chpr10j

Apprentice
Reaction score
So I planned on brewing a Blueberry Wheat beer tomorrow using fresh blueberries.  Thought I would be able to find a recipe that has worked pretty easy, but doesn't seem to be the case.  Is there anyone out there that has one that has been successful for them?  I don't normally do a second fermentation and that seems to be key.  Any help would be great.  Looking to purchase all my ingredients this afternoon.  Thanks!!

I made a delicious blueberry ale that was wonderful until the bottles turned into gushers. Don't know if it was the blueberries that added the infection, or something else. But it was the bomb before the bottles turned into bombs.

If I was to do it again, I'd add sulphites (Campden tablets, available at most homebrew shops) to the berries before adding them to the brew.

I use them in my "Mountain Beer" and put them in the secondary. I have them in a large kettle and cover them with boiling water and wait for approx. 10 minutes before I put them in the secondary. Never had any infection issues or gelatin haze.

Slurk said:
I use them in my "Mountain Beer" and put them in the secondary. I have them in a large kettle and cover them with boiling water and wait for approx. 10 minutes before I put them in the secondary. Never had any infection issues or gelatin haze.

Thanks for the feedback.  I have never used a secondary, but from what I'm reading, this is the only way to do any kind of fruit beer with success.  How many pounds of blueberries did you use?

Curious how your Blueberry brew turned out. I made a Honey Steamer (2.5 lbs honey) and added around 4lbs frozen blueberries to the secondary. Ended up kegging that batch and wow so good. So much sugar and alcohol I couldn't focus on watching an episode of Walking Dead.

Back