• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mr. Beer Fermenter w/ BIAB

Quake120

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have a free Mr. Beer fermenter and I'd like to use it so it doesn't sit around collecting dust. Does BIAB scale down to 2 gallon batches well? I've never done a BIAB and I'd like to try something a bit darker like a porter if possible, but I'm kind of afraid the lid on the fermenter is going to get clogged with krausen and I'll have a stouty explosion haha. Has anybody tried this?

I created my own profile for biab and use it with my  MBKs quite frequently.  It's just a matter of adjusting the volume to fit the MBK and updating the pot size, boil off rate, trub loss, and any dead space in your process to match. 

Awesome, thank you! I will definitely have to try it. Have you ever had any trouble with the LBK's weird vent notches? I have seen some older ones that have an actual airlock on them; maybe I'll mod mine to have that.

Even if you mod it with a hole for the airlock, the notches will still be there.  I use them as is without issue.  The majority of the brews are experimental or for proofing a recipe, so they don't usually spend more than three weeks in the MBK and I don't normally do a full cold crash on them.

Back