• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Adding Sparge to "Use During" for Water Agents

genotype

New Forum Member
Reaction score
When you add a water agent, your only choices for "Use During" are Boil, Mash, Primary, Secondary or Bottling.  Is there any way to add "Sparge" to the list?

@genotype: did this post ever get answered?  I'm with you, adding Sparge to the list will help out with separating the Ingredient list into the actual order they need to go for the Brew Sheet.

BeerSmith is an excellent piece of software but there's a limit to the features you can stuff into a single application without overloading the computer or the user. BeerSmith has good water adjustment, but there are more capable, more complex, and more accurate applications available.

I use Martin Brungard's "Bru'n Water" spreadsheet. It takes a bit of effort to learn to use it - you need to read the instructions. It will split the water additions between mash and sparge, suggest a target pH, and tell you the pH you can expect. If you decide to use Bru'n Water, please donate a few dollars to Martin; in return you'll get a slightly more capable version of the spreadsheet.

Dan

To get around not having a "sparge" menu item in the "use in" dropdown, I just put all of my sparge additions as 120 minute boil. Then they show up as an error on my timer page and remind me to add them to the sparge water.

I try to let BeerSmith do the heavy lifting as much as possible. I called and got the mineral content of our tap water and entered that into the water profile database. Then I create a profile for each basic style I brew. Example: "Local" = our basic local tap water. "Local-Pale" = Additions to" Local" to brew pale ale. These changes are pretty much taken from John Palmer's suggestions.

When I brew, I have limited kettle space so I start with 12 gallon of say "Local-Pale". I let BeerSmith enter the required additions to my Recipe Ingredients.
I'll use say, 7 gallons in the Mash. I will sparge with 9 gallons. So after I put the strike water in the MLT I only have 5 gallons of treated water left in the Kettle.
To get my 9 gallons to sparge, I'll need 4 gallons of water more in the kettle. So in the Recipe Ingredients, I make another Water entry of 4 gallons. I let BeerSmith show the additions I need to put in the kettle to correct the 4 added gallons. That way I mash and sparge with the same water profile.
The Mash Tab tells you the water volume for the mash and the sparge.

In practice I heat the initial 12 treated gallons up to strike temp. After I strike, while the mash time is running, I add the 4 gallons and treatments to get the volume of sparge water and heat it to my sparge temp. I should add that I batch sparge rather than fly sparge to a gravity value. This keeps my water volumes easy to calculate and treat.

Here's my confession, by using this method, I pay absolutely no attention to the" Use During"! It isn't used in any calculations that I make or use.  :)

Pat

Back