• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Adjusting recipes to reflect actual brew day results

unixuser101

Apprentice
Reaction score
Simple question I am sure. Sorry if its been answered previously.

Just bottled a Belgium Dark strong and wanted to make the sliders appear right for OG and abv in my recipe. Plus make it look right for style. But after playing with the brewing efficiency and batch size i cant get the sliders to be right. I noticed the only thing left is the sliders use the estimated FG rather then my recorded FG. Other then playing with the yeast Max attenuation is there anyway to make it use the recorded FG?. I used a lot of Candi sugar in the recipe so it went pretty dry using the Safale T-58 yeast. 1070->1011. I had it go lower on previous recipes.

Dave

The sliders represent the estimation of the recipe.  You would have to adjust the recipe ingredients to move them.

The recorded actual OG, FG, etc. on the Fermentation tab record the actual results of your brew.

Hi Beer_Tigger,

Surely estimates arnt as important as what I actually got.  I want to record for my beer log the 'real results' the last thing I would want is to adjust the recipe as I wont be able in future to adjust recipe accurately.  Before i brew, estimations are a great help but 6 months down the line recorded actual based on my brew system and brew processes are more important.

For this recipe I had no choice but to increase the MAX Attenuation of the yeast to 95% such that the estimate was the same as my FG. (Not ideal). So I could record and print the recipe accurately to my brew log.

I would prefer that the actual's became what the sliders depicted once they have been recorded. I hope I haven't missed something obvious here.

Dave

Beer_Tigger said:
The sliders represent the estimation of the recipe.  You would have to adjust the recipe ingredients to move them.

The recorded actual OG, FG, etc. on the Fermentation tab record the actual results of your brew.

Not a great answer perhaps you misunderstood unixeruser101s question ?

Putting false numbers into a recipe to try and get round the restriction that actual OG/FG figures are ignored by the software seems a very bad idea.
If Beersmith is going to used as an historical record (Brewers recipe book) it should record reality not estimates..

unixuser101 said:
Hi Beer_Tigger,

Surely estimates arnt as important as what I actually got.  I want to record for my beer log the 'real results' ...

Ah, I see what you want. Perhaps having sliders on the Fermentation tab that use the recorded values will give you the visual you want.

You can put a post in the Suggestions area if you want to describe what you are looking for.

unixuser101 said:
Just bottled a Belgium Dark strong and wanted to make the sliders appear right for OG and abv in my recipe. Plus make it look right for style. But after playing with the brewing efficiency and batch size i cant get the sliders to be right. I noticed the only thing left is the sliders use the estimated FG rather then my recorded FG.

I recommend you use the brew log to record your results into the recipes. This way, you can see what modifications and results you actually experience on brew day. this will preserve the original recipe for future use.

As you make the recipe and record actual results, BeerSmith will show you actual efficiencies. You can simply plug the Measured Efficiency number (in the Fermentation tab) into the equipment profile as your Brewhouse Efficiency. This way, all new recipes start with the correct brewery calculations.  You can also simply update your current recipes as you dial in the numbers.

Brewing is always a series of connected compromises. After a while, you get an average that works in most situations... until you f**k with it.

Back