• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Brewing lighter color beers with extract

dbevisjr

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello. I brew extract due to the rules at the apartment complex where I live. I have my second batch in primary at the moment. My question is, when brewing lighter colored beers with extract, is there any way to keep the color light? I would like to start planning a light colored, crisp brew to quench my thirst in early summer. Thank you.

A lighter beer, without changing the recipe, can be brewed by adding some of the extract later in the boil.  The technique is called, "late extract addition".  LME and DME darken during the boil, Maillard Reaction.  LME darkens more than DME.
Add about one pound of extract per gallon of the boil for hop oil isomerization.  Add DME before LME.  The remainder of the extract can be added late in the boil, or stirred in at the end of the boil, before cooling.  160°F wort will pasteurize the extract.
If you have half a jug of LME, to add late, it helps to add hot wort to it during the boil for an easier pour with less stirring to dissolve.

You can also add a small amount of corn sugar. Extract can be difficult to get down to your desired FG, but a little corn sugar will boost your OG, keep the color light and help dry the beer a little. 

In addition, lightening the color of the beer won't make it any more crisp or refreshing.  You need to chose the best extracts for the style of beer you're attempting to create.

When I used to extract brew, I always used the lightest possible extracts and then used specialty malts to get the color I wanted.

I also used specialty malts to help me target in on the mouthfeel I was after.

Thank you all for your responses. I think my wheat ale may be too dark to really get any benefit of the raspberry color without having to overload it as far as the flavor goes. I may have to do some smaller batches to experiment with your suggestions.

Back