• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Can I sub candi sugar for cane sugar?

benjah

Apprentice
Reaction score
Im about to brew a belgian triple called "She Devil" off the recipe cloud. It looks great, after scaling it up to my 10 gal batch size, it calls for a 11% addition of Cane/Beet sugar (3lb,5oz) which is added during the start of the 60 min boil.
I dont want to monkey too much with the recipe, but can I sub some belgian candi syrup instead? Ive got 2 lbs in my closet, Maybe use the 2 lbs of candi syrup and 1lb 5oz cane sugar? What would you do??

I personally would make the substitution!!!!!!  I love using Belgian Candy Sugar.  It will add a nice dimension to the flavor profile that you won't get with the Cane Sugar.

Definately go with the belgian candi sugar for your trippel. It's what makes a belgian, nice caramel flavours and great dark colours. I used 2 lbs in a 23 liter belgian trappist quad and the flavour is great. Use a nice trappist yeast to really make it authentic,  and flavour that is out of this world
( white labs wlp-500)

Back