• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Couple suggestions

F

Funkenjäger

1) Any way you could make it possible to add ingredients to the inventory right at the inventory screen?  I know there are a couple other ways to do it, but the first time I tried to figure it out this is what seemed intuitive to me - it's sort of like adding ingredients to a recipe from the recipe editor screen.  There aren't any right-click options in the inventory pane, and only 3 buttons above it, so it seems like there ought to be room.  It's obviously not a NECESSARY addition, but it seems that if there's more ways to accomplish a task, the more likely people are to figure it out intuitively.

2) It would be nice if sparge water volumes were at least displayed, if not editable in the recipe editor screen.  The first few times I used the program I had no idea how to see the sparge volumes at all, until I stumbled upon the brewsheet.  I have come across a number of other new users on homebrewing forums who have been confused about this as well, thinking that beersmith was telling them they did not need to sparge at all, or making them figure out sparge volumes on their own.  The recipe editor screen has practically all the information on it to be used in place of the brewsheet, so it would be nice if it contained this last little bit.  I have not experimented with trying to modify sparge volumes/number of sparges (always just let beersmith figure it out for me), and don't even know if it's possible, but if it's not, making the sparge water editable in the recipe editor seems like it'd be useful.

Thanks,
  I agree on both points - it should be easier to update the inventory from the inventory screen, and there should be a place for display of more sparging and session parameters.

For the next major version I'm thinking of separating the session data into a separate tab.  The main entry page would allow the same options as today, but the session page would break out additional data related to the brewing session.

Cheers!
Brad

In a similar vein; it'd be nice if you could edit the sparge water temperature as well.  I find the simplest way to step mash is to figure out what volume of boiling water I need to add to get to the next step; this means I don't need to worry about my water temperature and it keeps my mash from getting too watered down.  Right now I just have to guess at the volume I'll need and then tweak it until I get it right.

Hi,
  You can adjust the sparge water temperature if you like - it is a parameter in the various mash profiles - just open any of the mash profiles to edit it.

Cheers!
Brad

Back