• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Working with Ingredients

kkoltunf

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Friends,

I am new to Beersmith, and I bought it to learn how to build recipes. It's been wonderful so far, but I would like to able to temporarily delete individual ingredients to see the effect of that one ingredient on the recipe. Yet I cannot figure out how to do that. I know I can delete or edit an ingredient, but I really want it to turn into a kind of "shadow" in the recipe: it's still there, but it is not counted as part of the recipe (but I could easily turn it back on, so to speak, and again make it a full member of the recipe). Simply, I want to build a recipe, and then kind of toggle ingredients on and off to see their effect on bitterness, color, etc. How can I do that?

thanks, Ken

I was gonna suggest Edit/Undo after deleting, but that doesn't work. ::)

When I want to see the individual impact of an ingredient, I double click on that ingredient in the recipe and set the amount to 0.  This preserves it within the recipe and allows me to see the gravity, color, IBU, etc impact without that ingredient.

Great. That is very helpful about setting the amount to 0. I will try that.

thanks, Ken

Oginme said:
When I want to see the individual impact of an ingredient, I double click on that ingredient in the recipe and set the amount to 0.  This preserves it within the recipe and allows me to see the gravity, color, IBU, etc impact without that ingredient.
good idea

It's the way I get my post boil gravity reading when I am adding sugars or honey after the boil or during fermentation.  I think Brad mentioned that the calculation of post boil gravity with later sugar additions was something he was going to work on for a future update, but not sure how far up the priority ladder it is.

Back