• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Corny Keg: Pin Lock vs. Ball Lock

Thin Brew Line

Apprentice
Reaction score
So I have a source for nearly new pin lock 5 gallon kegs- $40.00 each

There seems to be some debate about ball lock kegs being better "overall". I know there is a dimensional difference, and I understand pin locks prevent mixing beer and gas lines, as can happen with ball locks.

Someone suggested to me that ball lock kegs flooded the market (Coke used pin lock kegs and everyone else used ball locks) with the inception of "bag-in-a-box" soda fountains, so that is just what people have- so that is what they like.

Is the debate much ado about nothing?  Are there any real negatives you can point out?

Thanks!

Cost is a negative of ball locks in my area.  Used pin lock kegs are$40.  Used ball lock kegs are $80.

I have a 7.2 cubic foot chest freezer converted into a keezer.  I use 3 ball locks and two pin locks in it, so that I can have 5 beers on tap.  I keep the CO2 cylinder outside of the keezer to make room for the 5th keg.  If I were to use all pin locks, I would only be able to get 4 kegs in it.  The line set up that you mention isn't really a problem, if you color code your ball lock lines, so that you always know which is which.

So, ball locks cost more, but in certain instances they can allow an extra faucet to be added to a keezer or kegorator.

I don't really see any other differences that are positive or negative, other than the ones stated above.

Hanks for the info Scott. I also just listened to the podcast on kegging and it was very informative on this issue as well as so many others. I plan on using a deep freeze with temp control for my kegs as well. Watching Craigslist and local classifieds.

Used chest freezers are hard to come by, at least around here. I've been looking for one since my old one died about a year ago without any luck. If I don't find one by the time the snow melts, I'll be buying a new one. 

I found a freezer for fifty bucks! Hooray! I can brew again! It's been a whole year! Happy happy joy joy joy!

Back