• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Wyeast 3274

dcwright65

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Brewing a Saison using Wyeast 3274. It's notorious for stuck fermentations, but I decided to try it anyway. I've got it primary with a carboy heater on it and it got stuck up around 1.045 (normally it gets stuck around 1.035 from what I've read). I wrapped the carboy in a couple of towels to raise the temp and lo and behold it started up again. The airlock bubbled for a couple of days and then stopped. I tested again and I'm at 1.035.

Any ideas on how to get it going again? Should I re-pitch with the same yeast or maybe add some Wyeast 3711?

Thanks
DW

use a second yeast (clean flavor profile) to finish or ramp temp up to 90* + as recommended by Wyeast:

"This strain is the classic farmhouse ale yeast. A traditional yeast that is spicy with complex aromatics, including bubble gum. It is very tart and dry on the palate with a mild fruitiness. Expect a crisp, mildly acidic finish that will benefit from elevated fermentation temperatures. This strain is notorious for a rapid and vigorous start to fermentation, only to stick around 1.035 S.G. Fermentation will finish, given time and warm temperatures. Warm fermentation temperatures, at least 90°F (32°C), or the use of a secondary strain can accelerate attenuation. "

I have found the French Strain to be much more reliable.  It will ferment to less than 1.000.

" A very versatile strain that produces Saison or farmhouse style beers as well as other Belgian style beers that are highly aromatic (estery), peppery, spicy and citrusy. This strain enhances the use of spices and aroma hops, and is extremely attenuative but leaves an unexpected silky and rich mouthfeel. This strain can also be used to re-start stuck fermentations or in high gravity beers.

Origin:
Flocculation: Low
Attenuation: 77-83%
Temperature Range: 65-77F 18-25C
Alcohol Tolerance: ABV 12%

Styles:
  Belgian Blond Ale
  Belgian Dark Strong Ale
  Belgian Golden Strong Ale
  Belgian Specialty Ale
  Bière de Garde
  Saison
"

To elevate fermentation temperature, a brewing heat belt works quite well. You can plug it  into a temperature controller and tape the probe
to the fermentor, or just use as is to ensure a higher temperature than you have already. I have 2 of them and find them handy for this.

Back