• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

HERMS / RIMS equipment profile

RocketBrewer

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I have a HERMS system that I have difficulty with calculations in the software, mostly for the mash. I have about 1.5 gal of "dead space" between what is under my false bottom, pump, hoses, and my HEX coil, but none of it is actually dead space because my mash tun is bottom draining. There is no way (that I've found) to adjust water volumes for this. If I put any amount for dead space the program will just add volume to my total water bill assuming that i'm loosing it. I'd like to be able  to calculate my water to grist ratio and just add a specific amount to the mash to account for my "un-dead space".

Hi mate,

I am in the same boat - I need about 6L of water to cover my false bottom (dip tube below - next to 0 deadspace). Currently I just subtract that amount from my sparge water - but that's not ideal. It'd be great if there was an option to manually add the quantity of water into beersmith for consideration...

The water in the HERMS or RUMS piping isn't loss, so it's an increase in the Liquor to Grist ratio.

The easiest thing to do is calculate the mash with the "perfect" ratio, then just add the pipe water volume to the strike total. The liquor ratio will vary based on how much grain you're using.

Back