• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Matching a grain bill

Rep

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hi
I am building a recipe for the first time.  I am testing Beersmith to see if this is the SW I would like to use.

As I begin building my recipe I find that the ingrediantsl I would like to use are not listed in the Beersmith database.

I tend to think that the SW will help me here, but I don't knwo where to begin.

This is the grain bill for an all grain recipe.
    * 6 lbs. Pauls Mild Ale
    * 0.125 lbs. Simpson's Chocolate
    * 0.25 lbs. Crisp Amber Malt
    * 0.25 lbs. Crisp Brown Malt

How do I add them, and their characteristics to the database, or, how can I convert them to ingredients already in the database?  Of course, accuracy is important. 

Hi,
  You can use the generic ingredients in the existing database.  For example "Simpson's Chocolate" is "Chocolate Malt" I believe.  Similarly the Amber and Brown are Amber and Brown malts.  The 6 lbs of Mild Ale is likely a hopped extract.  You can either enter it as a "Pale Extract" and then set the amount of equivalent hops or mark it as a hopped extract by opening the extact in the recipe and entering equivalent hops information.

There are also additional ingredients here if you wish to download specific manufacturer's ingredients:
      http://www.beersmith.com/data_updates.htm

Cheers!
Brad

Back