• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Adding Jalapeño and Grapefruit Zest to an IPA

WallyBrews

Apprentice
Reaction score
So I’m brewing a 5 gallon extract kit from NB, the dead ringer IPA.  I have brewed this beer before and after tasting a beer infused with jalapeno at my beer club a few months ago I got intrigued with the idea of adding it to my IPA.  My bartender suggested adding citrus zest as well and we settled on grapefruit.

After doing some research on additive methods I’ve settled on chopping up the jalapeno prior to bottling day, soaking it in vodka and adding the infused vodka to the secondary a couple days before bottling.  If anyone has any input on that I’d appreciate it.

Now as the grapefruit zest is concerned, I’m not sure when the best time to add it is, how much and how to add it.  Any input is greatly appreciated.

This is my first attempt at adding additional flavors to a kit and I’m excited to try it out.

Cheers!

WallyBrews,  I'm looking to do a Grapefruit IPA here shortly and would also be my first time adding fruit.  My question, did you soak the Grapefruit Zest in Vodka? if so, when adding to the secondary (presumably) did you just add the infused vodka or also the zest.  Worried that the zest partials would end up in my pours.  Thoughts???

I haven't used jalapeños but I have used habaneros and what I did was spray the peppers with Starsan then puree them in a blender and added them to the secondary. I haven't used grapefruit zest but I have used orange zest and I added it to the boil with about 15 minutes left. If you add the zest to the boil put it in a hop bag or you'll have a mess to clean out of your kettle.

add the grapefruit zest 5 minutes before the end of the boil.  Also, try roasting the jalapeños for another great flavor.

Back