• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

brewers best cider kit

Damrite

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hey guys, i bought a mixed berry brewers best cider kit, in the instruction it says after 7 days to check the gravity and if I reach 1009 gravity to add the flavor package.
I followed the instruction carefully and have my room temperature to 20 Celsius and after 8 days my gravity is 1020, I use a refractometer for the reading. Everything seems normal good smell and it did ferment, anyone experience that before using those kits, It's my first try at making cider, very simple compare to brewing beer.
Cheers everyone

The refractometer is a brewhouse tool. It measures the fermentable sugar in water. Once those sugars have started turning to alcohol the water is thinned out. You have a higher refractive index ... and an incorrect reading. Use a hydrometer to get a correct reading.

I have an 1.080 OG beer in primary that just recently fermented down to 1.014. But on my refractometer it's nudging 1.030.

Back