• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Recipe version/linking

seanthenry

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I would like to suggest changing the way recipe versions are handled.

Currently if I change the version number the only real option I have is to save it as a new brew. If I want to view the changes I have to open multiple recipes and click back and forth.

My suggestion is the following:
  • When the version number is increased the new version is linked to the old one and any changes are saved independently including notes.
  • When selecting a lower version number you will see that recipe as it was saved on last brew.
  • Add a master recipe selection. This will allow to select the default/ source version or the recipe, so if you have brewed 6 versions of the same recipe you can select you favorite but still look at the different versions for your tasting note. That can be helpful if you have not brewed that beer for a while.

Example:
v1.0
Extract all hops at 60min
v1.1
Extract half hops FWH rest at 60min
v1.2
BIAB half hops FWH rest at 60min
v1.3
BIAB half hops FWH rest at 60min Yeast 1
v1.4*
BIAB half hops FWH rest at 60min Yeast 2
v1.5
BIAB half hops FWH rest at 60min Yeast 3
v1.6
BIAB half hops FWH rest at 60min Yeast 4

V1.4 marked as master copy to load when opened, but you can go to notes and view the different tasting notes added to see why you liked yeast 2 better than #4

I absolutely second this idea. I would love to see this implemented in the next version of BeerSmith.

Just wanted to note, this is a great idea. I came to the forums looking for what versioning does, as changing ingredients on a recipe didn't seem to do what I thought it should. Another vote for adding this a feature in the next revision.

Can anyone please tell me what version numbering actually does??

Back