• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Is possible to make a Imperial Oatmeal porter?

KiltedONE

Apprentice
Reaction score
I just got the book "Brewing porter and stouts" by Terry Foster, from the Amazon today.

What make a Imperial ? more grain and yeast??

I like oatmeal porters better than oatmeal stouts.

Can a Imperial oatmeal porter possible?

thanks!
Still learning about beer making!

KiltedOne
Oregon

here is the link on this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Brewing-Porters-Stouts-Origins-History/dp/1629145114/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1428622002&sr=1-1&keywords=brewing+porters+and+stouts

Since nobody has chimed in yet, the answer is yes you can. The beauty of homebrewing is the creativity it allows. Who cares about a style guideline? Those are helpful, but don't believe you must stay within boundaries. If you want to shoot for a 12% appleweizen, it is your freedom to do so.
Making a beer "imperial" is usually associated with a higher alcohol version of an existing beer or style. I've had very good oatmeal porters that were "imperialized" by the brewery making special versions such as upping the alcohol and then aging the beer in a used wine, tequila, or bourbon barrels.
There are many ways to add additional alcohol. More malt, sugar, syrups, extract, etc. can all be used to get higher alcohol results. You'll need more yeast for a higher potency beer.
Experiment. Have fun. Take good notes.

hey bigchicken, that was so well said, that I totally agree with your comment, we get so tied up with what guidelines and traditional styles say that it takes the creativity and fun away from our homebrewing, we do not want to be Budweisers who make bland boring beers,

experiment to your hearts delight but for goodness sake keep accurate notes, because nothing worse than making a cracker of a brew and then not been able to repeat it... go for it and let us know what comes out ok?  :)

I am experimenting with making a Chocolate Stout or Porter using real baking chocolate... in addition to the Chocolate Grain and other grains and wheat grain which I have not seen in any other recipe...
and most Youtube Clips I have seen say use 1 ounce or 2 Ounces of Baking Choc... I used 250 Grams that is 250 Divided by 28 that gives us 8.93 ounces... Just bottled my batch last week so lets see what comes out  ;)

Next time I shall use Oats as well
George

Imperial is just a buzz word now.  The meaning was when English brewers sent beer to Russia for the Czars (Imperial).  Now the word means just a bigger grain bill than normal.  So to answer your question, yes.  Just use more grains and you have an imperial porter.

Back