• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Milk Stout Bottling concerns

schloyc

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi,  I recently brewed a Milk Stout the specific gravity of which was 1.060 when placed in the primary.  After a two day burst of activity fermentation slowed down considerably (i.e., no airlock activity).  I racked the wort (SP 1.020) into the secondary on day 6.  On day 14, the specific gravity remains at 1.020 (temp = 68 degrees). Interestingly enough, the brew tastes great but surprisingly  is partially carbonated even in the secondary.  My concern, however, is bottling.  Normally one would add enough priming sugar to carbonate between 2.0 to 2.5 volumes (About 3.5 oz dextrose).  Should I be concerned about creating bottle bombs given the existing carbonation?  Suggestions?

If I'm not mistaken, Beersmith takes into account the small amount of CO2 in the beer prior to bottling.  So you should be ok.  I'd still give another week or two.  It can't hurt to sit another week or two, and may actually help the final flavor profile.

Thanks for the response.  Seems reasonable to let it set for awhile as long as it is ok to do so.  Better flavor is good.... ;0)

Back