• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Pear cider

Mofo

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hi. There are several varieties of pear where I live, from dessert pears to sour little cusses. I'd like to smash some up and ferment a cider. Ideally I'd like it dry and sparkling. I imagine it's little different from making a hard apple cider but I thought I'd ask here if anyone here knows of good online resources ... or, better yet, has experience with pear cider in particular.

I been making cider for 3 years.
Bartlett pairs are great for making Peary.
are doing 50% apple and 50 % pear?
.............or just Peary??

I use mangrove Jack cider yeast, I like it better than Champain yeast!

I will bottle my Rasta hard Cider next week ( honey crisp( red) Opel yellow and Kiwi (green).

Scott

Oh................If forgot the Book:
Cider, making,using & enjoying sweet and hard Cider.
by Annie Proulx & Lew Nichols 2003, 3rd edition.
great book on cider. Pear and apples are very similar !

KiltedONE
scott
oregon

@KiltedONE, thanks very much for the reply ... especially for the nod to the book, I see a copy in the online bookstore.

Thanks, too, for mentioning Mangrove Jacks. Weeks back I ordered a couple packets each of champagne and Mangrove Jack's Cider yeasts. I was going to split a batch and try each. Maybe I'll stick with the latter. Cheers!

i would humbly suggest that fermented apple juice can only be cider, if it is sweet then it may have some fermenting left to do. try necking a good half then report back.....hic.

Back