• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

coverting from all grain to extract??

arctic78

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
HI All,
          I have just started using Beersmith and I have been looking at converting all grain to extract ( new to brewing not at all grain stage yet )  and was wondering if anyone could help me out with the bit where it ask what is your base grain when you convert a all grain to extract??? Do they mean Dem/Lem or do they mean they grains that you wish to steep with ?
May be a stupid question but if I don not ask I will not know .

Any help is most appreciated .

I haven't tinkered with this personally, but you say "base grain" which I would think means either malt extract in the extract recipe or something like "US 2 row" or "pilsener malt" in the all grain recipe.  In all grain recipes malts like these two make up the vast majority of the grain bill.  Everything else is deemed "specialty grains", which would be the grains you keep in your extract recipe and steep for color.

Thanks for the help . I thought it was going to be that but wanted to check. One more question, how do you determine what extract to use ??
Not as in DME or LME but light ,dark etc.

arctic78 said:
Thanks for the help . I thought it was going to be that but wanted to check. One more question, how do you determine what extract to use ??
Not as in DME or LME but light ,dark etc.

When I was an extract brewer, I "always" used the lightest extract possible.  I got all of my color from my specialty grains.  This allowed me the best control of flavor and color.

I highly recommend steeping an amount of specialty grains if you weren't already planning on doing so. The difference in flavor is night and day. And if you're comfortable with steeping, you're just a bigger bag away from BIAB.

Thanks for all the Help  :D has been very informative. I do steep my specialty grains but i will try sticking just to the light malt extract for my recipes.

Thanks.

Back