• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

my hop vortex brew

SirWaddlez

Apprentice
Reaction score
Did a brew this morning. Third batch since I started. Did two brewers best boxes and decided it was time to experiment. Recipe is as follows.

6.2 gallons water

Steep - 152-154 degrees - 20 minutes.
1lb carapils
1/2lb crystal malt 60

Boil - 60 minutes.
6lbs - light Pilsen DME
2oz Magnum hops - 60 minutes
1oz cascade hops - 15minutes
4tsp - fermax yeast nutrient - 10 minutes
1oz Amarillo hops - 5 minutes
1/2oz coriander seed - 5 minues
1oz orange bitter peel - 5 minutes

OG reading post boil was 1.050

Pitched at 78 degrees with white labs Belgian with ale yeast. Now fermenting at 70 degrees.
I am pretty excited about this brew. Was trying to replicate the widmer bros blinded by the white. However wanted more hops so I went that way. Beersmith estimated ibus at 129.7. Should be a tastey one. Will update gravity reading in 2 weeks.

Pitched with Belgian wit ale yeast at 78 degrees by the way. Dunno why it didnt add that in the post.

Oh yea... Haha. One of the most important ingredients. I added 6 lbs of a light Pilsen dry extract.

Did an SG reading today. Has gone to 1.020. Will do another in a couple days. Not going to rack this one to secondary however. Hoping I can empty enough bottles from prior brew to have enough for this one in a few days.

Back