• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

CO2 cyl

Glenn1952

Apprentice
Reaction score
how many 5 gal kegs should a 20# CO2 cyl last for( approx) at keg temp 5 degrees C ?
thanks

I think a lot. I get at least 8 - 5 gal kegs out of a 5# bottle. I don't fool around with it a lot. Set the pressure and plug in the keg and all seems to work out well.

I get about 20  kegs from a 10 pound cylinder. I keep my co2 outside in room temperature now, used to house it in the keezer. Found it emptied quite quickly, found many leaks in the lines. I've learned to keep refrigerated side connections to a minimum, no extra manifolds or valves (especially poly fittings which shrink in cold temps).

Use frothed up star san or soap solution to
apply to fittings with brush or spray bottle to check for leaks. Even a
small one can be costly.

thanks for your insight and ideas, I dove in headfirst all grain brewing feb 2015 and did not know what to expect re kegging ( especially not expecting a defective new snap on connector)
also , in hindsight I would go new kegs , all those little pieces add up in frustration and $
thanks again

my first few months with the kegerator i was going through them more quickly as i discovered leaks here there and everywhere.  now that i'm settled, it's probably about 6 months per cylinder.  that said, it seems like the majority of the time a cylinder gets kicked it's because the new keg in town is leaking somewhere while it's carbing up.

make sure you use keg lube  I had an issue with running out of CO2 made sure I used lube on all keg posts issues are gone.

Back