• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

High gravity at end of boil do I need more yeast

bullhawk1503

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I brewed an all grain pale ale, I checked gravity of 3rd tailings and it was 1.08 so I stopped draing into carboy, the problem was the tempature was 168 degrees so gravity reading was not actualy that low.  3rd recipie and I guess I paniced, anyway my original gravity reading was 1.080 and should have been 1.068.  I created a yeast starter, 6 cups of water and 1/2 cup of dme, sat on counter top for 26 hrs. cold crashed for 8 hrs. and pulled out of refrigerator 5 hrs. before pitching.  My question is with the yeast starter, I used white labs PL001, will I need to pitch more yeast due to the high gravity reading of 1.080?

That sounds like a pretty high SG for a Pale Ale. What was your recipe? I use 100g DME to liter of water for my yeast starters so your's sounds a little weak. BUT it should all work out, just make sure it is done fermenting before bottling/kegging.

Back