• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

From boil to bottle/keg?

How long from boil to bottle/keg do you wait?

• 2 weeks

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • 3 weeks

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • 4 weeks

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • More than 4 weeks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other - explain in comments

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

SirWaddlez

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have a buddy I did a brew with a couple months ago. He is an all grain brewer and I am still in the extract phase. We did a pale ale that took all day(didnt realize all grain brews were quite the process). Anyways. About 14-16 days later I went over to drink with him. To my surprise he had already kegged the brew we did and that's what we were drinking. Kind of blew my mind as all I have read has been pretty much atleast a week in primary and if you rack to secondary atleast two weeks. I bottle myself and I know to get proper carbonation they need to condition for a week or so. Is kegging different in the aspect of proper carbonation?

I voted for 4 weeks because this is my typical, regardless of ales or lagers, assuming I don't have motivation to move more quickly or age longer... I'm about to get an ale kegged shortly after a week, though, because one of my three taps is dry  :eek: :eek: :eek:

Kegging you can get carbed up in about 3 days pretty easily by bumping up pressure to 25-30 psi... more quickly if you shake the keg, which I don't typically do.

I voted for "other", because I brew so many different styles.  Most of them are ready to keg or bottle in three or four weeks.  Sometimes they're ready in three weeks but don't get them bottled or kegged until week six, just because I'm traveling for work.

Other beers (sours), take 1 to 3 years before they are ready.  They just sit in a full carboy while the microbes do their magic.  I currently have 13 gallons (two 5 gallon batches and a 3 gallon batch) of sours getting happy.  I'll taste them next March to see if they are ready or need more time.

It's not unusual for an ale to be ready to keg in only ten days. At that point it can be force carbonated in the keg in only a day or two. But it depends on the style. The more potent the brew, the longer it takes to ferment and clear. Lagers on the other hand can take a month or more from brew-day to pouring the first glass.

I too voted 'other.'

I voted 4.

I've been brewing a run of IPAs and dry hopping, so a week to 10 days in primary, dry hop two weeks, then a week or so to let the yeast relax and contemplate the work they've done. I bottle and there's really no reason I couldn't do so earlier.

I voted 2 weeks. I generally primary 4-7 days and secondary about the same with an average 4 day carbonation period. I normally carbonate in the fridge at 18psi.

Back