• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Becks pale ale etc.

c_smith

Apprentice
Reaction score
I had heard it was coming, but didn't know when. Now Becks has released their pale ale, amber lager, and an alternative Pilsner. I'm curious, did they release these in the states as well? Here in Germany, where craft beer and home brewing is moving a bit slower than in the States, it's still interesting to see how a major industrial producer of beer has reacted to the craft beer movement. I tasted the pale and yesterday, and wasn't terribly impressed. But that's just me. I think it tasted a little bit like what would happen if you took a good pale ale and tried to make it taste like a pilsner. But I guess that makes sense, here in Germany most people grow up thinking that if a beer doesn't taste like a pilsner then it really isn't beer. Your thoughts?

Budweiser came out with what they called American Ale a year or so back. It tasted like, well, an ale made by Bud. Now that I think about it I haven't seen it on the shelves in a while.

It's hard to see who they are aiming these new beers at. Real ale and craft beer drinkers won't be interested. Neither will lager drinkers. They'll have to do some very clever marketing unless the Beer is exceptional, which I doubt.

Back