• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

HopShot IBU Calculation

Teekay92

Apprentice
Reaction score
Just want to double check that I am going about this correctly...

To get a correct IBU calculation, I would just change the AA in the HopShot's ingredient profile to "12.17%" correct?

Thanks in advance.

Source:
brewfun said:
Extracts are not easily handled in BeerSmith, yet. Their growing popularity makes that accommodation inevitable, but until then, you'll have to compromise a little.

Luckily, Northern Brewer gives us a key for calculating the bitterness of Hopshot. http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/hopshot.pdf

To get a 1 mg dose to project as 10 IBU, the extract has to carry 70,000% AA. But, most brewers use either ounces or grams, so you'll want to adapt that number to your preference.

The relationship of 2.43% AA = 10 IBU as 1oz makes sense, but why not turn the number into something you can use for both inventory and ordering? Why not make 1 ounce or gram equal an entire container of Hopshot? That way, anything less than a whole number is a percentage of the container.

So, one syringe of Hopshot is 5ml, or 50 IBU in 5 gallons (19 l).
As a gram, a Hopshot syringe would be 345% AA each.
As an ounce, a Hopshot syringe would be 12.17% AA each.

Good question im subscribing to see what others have to say

Teekay92 said:
Just want to double check that I am going about this correctly...

To get a correct IBU calculation, I would just change the AA in the HopShot's ingredient profile to "12.17%" correct?

Yes.

What I did was convert the bittering potential of a whole syringe into an "ounce" equivalent. So, if you have 2 syringes, you have an inventory of 2  "ounces." The result should be that if you use a whole syringe, you should get 50 IBU in 5 gallons (assuming an OG of 1.050).

brewfun said:
Yes.

What I did was convert the bittering potential of a whole syringe into an "ounce" equivalent. So, if you have 2 syringes, you have an inventory of 2  "ounces." The result should be that if you use a whole syringe, you should get 50 IBU in 5 gallons (assuming an OG of 1.050).

Awesome. Thanks!

Back