• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

yeast harvesting

Slobrew

Master Brewer
Reaction score
I've been yeast harvesting for awhile and currently boil the Bell Jars prior to collecting and washing the yeast. I was wondering if it is really necessary to boil the jars. Star San seems to do a good enough job during the brewing process so why wouldn't it do just as good during the yeast harvesting process. Any thoughts or good/bad experiences with not boiling?

I typically use a pressure cooker to sterilize the ball jars filled with water.  I then use the sterilized water for rinsing the yeast to remove the trub.  I get about 5 to 8 generations of clean yeast before dumping or seeing anything unusual with the harvested yeast.

I have short-cut the process by occasionally using a sanitized ball jar, but quickly found that after 2 to 3 generations, I will get some stringy material forming in the yeast which I am sure is bacterial contamination. 

Back