• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Boil of rate - I dont get it

MikeSkril

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi,

I hope someone can help me understand the boil of setting. Here is what I don't understand:

My batch size is 5.5 gal
Boil time 60 min
I set the boil off rate at 1 gal and I checked 'hourly boil off rate'
End of boil Vol shows 5.72 gal

Why isn't the 'end of boil vol' 5.5 gal?

Now I created exactly the same equipment but I unchecked the hourly rate setting. Now the final volume shows 5.5 gal and the hop quantities are lower.

So what exactly is the 'hourly rate' check mark and how can the volume be greater than 5.5 if boil off is 1 gal and boiling for 60 min? That doesn't work out.

Thanks,

What is your loss to trub?  I don't have my computer in front of me to check, but I think the post boil volume also has expansion due to the temperature calculated in.

Thats my profile:

2.png

5.png

6.png

It's correct.  You'll have 6.72 at the start of the boil.  You'll boil off 1 gallon, leaving you with 5.72 gallons after the boil.  When you cool your wort down after the boil, the volume will shrink by .23 gallons.  6.72 gallons - 1 gallon boil off - .23 gallons shrinkage = 5.49 gallons into the fermenter.  It's right.

Yes, it is but it was not in the equipment where I checked 'hourly rate'.

I removed the equipment and added it again and its working now.

Thanks!

Back