• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Looking to save a saison

pmac1015

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm fairly new to home brewing and need some advice.  My first few batches (pale/amber ales) came out well, so i decided to mix things up and try a saison.  The fermentation was very active for the first couple of days.  I did have a blow-out tube rigged; but most of the hops that were floating on top of the wort ended up stuck to the inside of my carboy and out of contact with the brew.  I was able to knock a small amount back down, but most of it is still stuck up there.

I'm concerned that with so much of the hop out of the brew, that I'm losing lots of bitter/flavor/aroma potential and will end up with an overly sweet or unbalanced beer.  Should I try and swirl to wash some of it back in?  Should I dry-hop to compensate?  Or, should I just leave it as is?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

When I make Saison's, I don't carry the hops into the fermenter, but instead leave them behind in the brew kettle.  The only time you should have hops in your fermenter is when you're dry hopping.  You already have the benefits of bittering during the boil process, so don't worry about them.  Leave them alone, as messing with them now does not add a benefit, and risks contamination.

Back