• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Whirlpol IBU Calc's

home_brew

Apprentice
Reaction score
Thankful that brewing software is now able to consider IBU's from the whirlpool.  It wasn't that long ago that this wasn't factored in.  But are the whirlpool hop calcs correct in Beersmith?

We know that the whirlpool only isomerizes the AA while it's hot enough - 170F+ I think it is.  There will also be carry-over IBUs from the boil hops because they extend their boil time by a factor of the time that the wort remains above 170F as with the ones added in the whirlpool, just on a diminishing curve once we reach flameout.

Why, when i add an oz of hops at the last 5 min of the boil, does it give me less IBU than when I add the same oz for a 15min whirlpool? 

I would expect that given the equipment profile, and liquid volume, and ambient temp of the surrounding air, it should be possible to factor in the thermal retention of my kettle so that the IBU's could be more accurately calc'd with the whirlpool properly factored in. 

Or is this a tall order?

Agree, and it shoud also calculates ibu for several whirlpool additons. For examle if I steep/Whirlpool at 95-99 degree C for 45 min and then chill and do a second addition at 75 degree C for another 45 min. It's obvius that Beersmith can't handle/calculate that without having multiple fields for steep/Whirlpool additions where you specify both time and temp for eath step/addition.

Feel free to do the experiments, collect the data, and come up with a workable model to submit to Brad so that he can incorporate it.  Until someone develops a model for whirlpooling and steeping post-boil, anything added to take into account temperatures and staggered additions would just be real guesswork.

Meanwhile, you can adjust the utilization of whirlpool hops to match either your measured values or perceived IBU content through the 'options' >> 'bitterness' > 'steep/whirlpool  util factor'

Back