• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

New member Portland, Or

markmeadows

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hello,  my name is Mark Meadows.  I am finally brewing my first batch of beer after brewing with friends for two years.  I am all grain brewing ten gallons at a time.  I started with lagers because they seem more challenging.  I have a good refrigerator system to keep the temperatures where I need them.

My beers have been fermenting for about three weeks at 50 degrees, and the recipes call for four more weeks at 40 degrees. Some people tell me, that I don't need to let it sit the full four weeks, maybe only two more weeks.  What are your suggestions?

markmeadows said:
I am finally brewing my first batch of beer after brewing with friends for two years.  I am all grain brewing ten gallons at a time.  I started with lagers because they seem more challenging. 

Hats off to you, Mark. It sounds like your friends have given you a lot of inspiration and confidence! Lagers are a lot of fun to make.

the recipes call for four more weeks at 40 degrees. Some people tell me, that I don't need to let it sit the full four weeks, maybe only two more weeks.  What are your suggestions?

With lagers, patience is rewarded. With that much time, the beers should be brilliantly clear and super tasty. You don't have to wait the four weeks. My lagers are done in 25 to 30 days, most of the time, but when I've left them for another month they take on a lot of subtle deliciousness.

It all depends on how thirsty and/or patient you are.

Back