• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Recipe conversion question

mr_beer

Grandmaster Brewer
Master Brewer
Reaction score
Possibly a dumb question but I need to ask. 

Long time BeerSmith user.

Modest capability as an actual beer brewer -- probably a 6 on a scale of 10.

Old guy so my ability to drink a lot of beer has diminished but I still like to experiment.  My average batch is only 5 gallons. 

Just discovered the BIAB approach.  Seems pretty good for my needs and takes a lot less time and technical skill. 

So for the question...

If I take an existing all grain recipe and use the same grain bill but change my equipment profile will BeerSmith in turn do the conversion of the recipe in terms of time, OG, bitterness, color, etc automatically?

Any hints/help in recipe conversion would certainly be appreciated. 

mr_beer said:
If I take an existing all grain recipe and use the same grain bill but change my equipment profile will BeerSmith in turn do the conversion of the recipe in terms of time, OG, bitterness, color, etc automatically?

That's what the Scale Recipe function is for. When you scale the recipe, it gives you the option to simply scale all of the ingredients to match the new profile (which may change OG, color and IBU a little), or to scale the specs to stay the same (which may alter the ratios of some ingredients a little). Either way, it's more effective than just swapping the equipment profile.

Back