• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Dry hopping

arctic78

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I was after some advise on dry hopping. I have just brewed an IPA it has been in the primary for 4 days now and as of last night the fermentation has slowed down very quick compared to how vigorous it had been in the morning and the fist couple of days.
I was thinking of leaving it  3-4 more days then transferring to the second fermenter  and dry hopping for 3-4 days with 2.5 ounces of hop pellets. I was just wanting to know what temperature to dry hop at. I have read 12-14 degrees C ( 53-57 F ) but was looking for some advise on what others do. 
The Brew is an extract and was my first full boil and I found I had an issue with being able to keep a good boil going due to the amount ( 23 litres )and what my stove could heat. I have just invested in a burner today that will boil this amount and much more so my next brew should go smother. I am slowly working my way up to partial then all grain as I get the equipment together and more experience
But I guess a few hiccups along the way are all part of the learning process.
Any advise is much appreciated.

I would raise the fermenting temperature to about 68-70 immediately to get a diacytel rest.  Then I would let the temperature drop into the low 60's F and dry hop it.

I wouldn't let it go down to the 50's until you've had a diacytel rest.

The diacytel rest will let the yeast clean up after themselves and give a cleaner flavor profile.

I still have it at around 68-70 at the moment  which is the temp. I have fermented at give or take a degree .
So if I leave it until tomorrow to dry hop and then drop the temp.  down to around 62 and dry hop how long should I wait until dropping it again down to the low 50's???

Thanks for your advise .

After dry hop addition i would pull out of secondary 3-5 days after hop pellet introduction. If the the hops remain in the beer for an extended period of may cause a vegital flavor, e.g. grassy or like veggies.

I had read to only dry hop for 3-4 days  but I do like to hear what others on here do with their beers and what they have experienced.
All the help and advise I have received from people on here has been great and very much appreciated.

So as of today my beer has been in the primary for five days so I will transfer to the second fermenter today and dry hop and see how things go  :-\  Fingers crossed. I have to say though it dose have a very good smell so far  and seems quite clear  :)

thanks for the help.

I usually dry hop at 7 and 14 days.  I don't use a secondary and do all additions in my conical.  I usually ferment at 65F but that depends on the strain of yeast I'm using but most of the time it's WLP051 for my IPA's.

Back