• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Estimated Abv vs. Measured Abv way off

beerdog

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'd appreciate any help with this issue.
In several of my recipes, measured Abv  is considerably lower than estimated Abv.  Same goes for calories.  Estimated Abv matches what is displayed on the design page, but on the mash page, it is often different by 1 or 2 percent Abv. I've checked all my numbers and they all seem to be correct.

Est. Abv  6.7%  -->  Meas. Abv. 4.7%

Est. Abw  5.3%  -->  Meas. Abw. 3.7%

Est. Calories 215.9%  -->  Calories 151.6%

These numbers won't help me identify anything in your process. There's a lot of variables that will effect what you measure.

Here's a few:

What can effect this is; your mash temperature, whether you've added a yeast to the recipe, whether you've created a starter, whether you've hit somewhere in the attenuation range of your yeast or what your pitching and oxygenation rate was.

I also don't know if you have a calibrated hydrometer, what temperature you took the measurement or whether you degassed the sample before taking a reading.

Can you post the recipe file? Export it as a BeerSmith .bsmx file so we can see your complete set of profiles and readings.

How were your yields? Losses?  Are they accurately entered in the beersmith recipe? Is your final yield your batch size minus losses or did you yield a bit more than that meaning you topped up with too much water at some point in your process. Input the losses and yields into the recipe and check them. Measure losses to be sure. Have all your equipment volume checked and marked so you know exactly how much is in there. Know your pre boil and post boil volumes, and volume into the fermentor. Make sure all these numbers are input into the recipe after you've made it... I am pretty sure when you fine tune the volume yields your A.B.V. will come into spec for you, meaning you can adjust the next time you make it to compensate for anything you find off now.

Sorry for taking so long to get back to this post.  This is a recipe that I have not brewed yet.  When I noticed the large difference in estimated an measured numbers, I wanted find out why before proceeding.

Attachments

• IPA recipe.bsmx
    37.5 KB · Views: 205
If you have not brewed this recipe yet, erase all the numbers in the WHITE input fields for volumes and specific gravity readings and the problem will go away.  The measured ABV means NOTHING until you plug in your actual results.

:eek:
beerdog said:
This is a recipe that I have not brewed yet.  When I noticed the large difference in estimated and measured numbers, I wanted find out why before proceeding.

If you haven't brewed it, there are no "actual" numbers. BeerSmith is populated with some vestigial "actual" numbers likely left over from Beta testing.

Before you add another recipe, create a "new" recipe with a basic list of malt (or extract) and bittering hop. Also add your favorite yeast and all of the tedious stuff like irish moss, bottling sugar and the other stuff that's in every recipe.

Add your equipment, mash (if applicable), fermentation and bottling profiles that you use most frequently. Zero out every measured field that you can in Mash and Fermentation. They tend to have a white or light colored background. Leave the "Vols" tab alone.

Give it a name like "Starting Point."

In the Home Tab, look to the right and find a line that says "Save as Default." Click it and confirm in the popup.

Now, when you add a new recipe, you'll have all the basics already in place. You can just build the recipe from the basics or add and replace ingredients as needed. This really cuts down on the time it takes to add recipes.

<note to self: Add, "have you brewed this recipe?" to the list of "can't trust the obvious" questions before giving advice.>  ;D ::)

Brewfun, thank you so much for the advice and instructions!  Though I had brewed many tasty brews before, BeerSmith has enhanced my brewing.  Just when I think I have mastered most of the functions and capabilities of BeerSmith, I find that I have much more to learn.  Thanks again for your help.  I'll set up a starting recipe right away. ;D

You're welcome, beerdog.

Keep asking questions. That's how we've all learned. With brewing, there's no end to learning for anyone.

Now that I have set up a Starter Recipe as default, I'm going back and putting the real numbers in the changeable fields of recipes that I,ve brewed.  Now the numbers make sense, and the estimated vs. measured numbers are very close.  That sure makes me feel better about my recipes!  :)

Back