• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Slow Cooker homebrew set up

wce_82

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers,

Need help with setting up a profile. Im a biab brewer and have my profile for that setup and seems to be working well. I have seen a brewing method using a 2 vessel system using a slow cooker, for small batches. I am trying to set it up and obviously must be missing something.

The slow cooker volume is 6L and was planning on using approx 15L pot for my boil hoping to get anywhere from 6-9L as finished beer. The drama I am having is that beersmith always tells me I need to fill my mash tun (slow cooker) up with 7L of water which will overflow even before the grain is added.

Any help would be awesome.

Thanks

***I did post this in the section about equipment profile, just casting the net wider*****

In the upper left corner of your equipment profile, you'll see Mash Tun Volume. This seems to be set for a volume larger than your cooker.

Just to add some info, im using the mobile app and currently I have my mash tun vol set at 5L less that what it can hold and it still tells me to add 6.9L of water.

Essentially i want to mash in about 4-5L of water and then top up my pot to around 9-10L for the boil.

Since you're using the BIAB setting, BeerSmith is using your kettle size as the volume reference. BIAB as a mash method uses a single pot for both mash and boil.

You need to switch your mash profile to batch sparge or uncheck all boxes and use fly sparging. This will let BeerSmith use the actual mash tun size as the volume reference.

Back