• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Refractometer set up in BeerSmith.

beerdog

Apprentice
Reaction score
Sometime soon, I plan on purchasing a dual scale refractometer.  I would like to be able use it for OG, interim SG and FG readings, but I'm not sure I understand how to set it up in BeerSmith, especially for gravity readings with alcohol present.  Can this be done accurately and consistently, or is it best to stick with a hydrometer?    :-\

To calibrate your refractometer when you get it, open 'refractometer' under the 'tools' menu.  Click on the 'calibrate refractometer' button at the bottom of the refractometer tool window.  Check the refractometer using distilled water at 20C (68F) and enter the reading where indicated.  It should read 1.000 SG or 0 Brix.  If it does not, there is a calibration screw on the top of the refractometer to dial it in to read 1.000 SG or 0 Brix and you can then enter this in the appropriate field in the calibration screen.

Next, take a bit of wort at the temperature your Hydrometer is calibrated at and measure the SG using your hydrometer.  Enter this value as SG in the appropriate field.  Test the same fluid with you refractometer and enter the reading in Brix into the appropriate field.  BeerSmith will calculate the correction factor.  Click 'OK' to apply this calibration and you are set.

...and don't forget to use the tool when measuring anything with alcohol, you'll need to plug in the OG to get an accurate FG.

Great!  It doesn't sound too complicated.  Thanks.  I'll may have a few more questions when I do get a refractometer, but this should give me a started on the right track.  Thanks again! ;D

Back